Anyway, we went to the zoo as a family this past Wednesday. We had bought a membership for my birthday last year, and worked it out that in 3 visits it would pay for itself. Well, it was about to expire and we'd only gone twice. The Fort Worth Zoo was just too far away for us. With the kids in school, it was just too difficult to get there. So we won't renew it, but needed to go once more.
Matt took the day off, and the kids were so excited to have him with us.
| This was a live Black Milk Snake. Erin turned to me and said "Mom, snakes aren't slimy!" |
| Baby giraffe! |
As per the norm, I didn't get into any of the pictures myself. Seems to be the way of things when you're the one with camera. I didn't seem to get many of the kids' faces either. I suppose that's okay. Not everything has to be a perfectly posed postcard moment. We had fun, even if the place was PACKED and there was hardly any room.
I have been feeling a bit...stifled...at home lately. There is SO much that needs to be done, and the four kids are all working against it, so it's worse than shoveling snow in a blizzard. It was good to get out and remember that my kids are fun people, and I love to watch them discover things. We stopped by the gorillas at the very end, and just stood outside and watched them for 15 or 20 minutes, instead of going inside the habitat, and fighting with the crowds to just breathe, let alone see anything. And by the end, Owen was yelling "Allila! Allila!" while pointing at them, and everyone just go so excited for his new word. Even the sleepy old lady gorilla sat up to look at him. Allison was excited that another one was picking dandelions (one of her own favorite passtimes). Of course, the gorilla was eating them.
It was an exhausting day, and even quite stressful at some points, but I'm so glad we went. It reminded me that I like my kids (I always love them, but...sometimes they get under my skin in a way only kids can), and that we can have fun together.


No comments:
Post a Comment